Friday, March 6, 2009

Graduate School Update

Just a quick update on my grad school applications: Out of the seven schools I originally applied to, four have deemed me unworthy to pursue higher education at their institutions at this time. These include the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, the University of Pennsylvania, the University of Arizona, and the University of Wisconsin-Madison. We have yet to hear back from the University of Chicago, the University of Texas-Austin, or Ohio State University.

In case you have no idea how this all works, most of the schools go through several rounds of consideration. After the initial "no's" are sent out, the remaining applications are assigned to faculty for close review. After the review process, the faculty board goes through and decides which applicants should be offered a spot in the program (Keep in mind, most of the programs have maybe 5-7 positions open, with an average applicant pool of close to 200). For most schools, if you last to mid-March there is a very good chance that you're in the final considerations. This by no means acts as any kind of a guaranty that you will be accepted into the program, but it means you have a shot.

My hope, seeing as today is March 6th, is that I've made it to that final round of consideration. If I can make it to around March 15-17 and still not be rejected by all 3 remaining schools, I feel that there is a reasonable chance that I could be accepted this term. If I hear anything more from any of the remaining schools, I'll be sure to post it. Your thoughts and prayers are appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment